My mother in law Lynette makes an amazing white chicken chili. As with all things Grandma makes, my wife and kids assure me this is better than anything I ever cook. My wife Tracie talked about this for years until I finally started making it for our family. It is easy, tasty and a great meal especially during the cold months of year!
Also, this finally gives you bean lovers an option for our Meat Church Texas Chili Seasoning.
As always, we add our smoke element by smoking this, but you can create this in a slow cooker.
- 2-3 C cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cans Great Northern Beans
- 1, 32 oz carton chicken broth
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1, 10oz block of pepper jack cheese, cubed (sub your fav cheese if you don't like the heat)
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 T Meat Church Texas Chili Seasoning
- Dutch oven or slow cooker. We make ours in a Lodge 12" / 6 qt Dutch Oven.
Prepare the chili
Mix all ingredients in a dutch oven or slow cooker.
If using a smoker or pellet grill
Prepare your smoker at 225 using hickory or pecan wood.
Place the dutch oven in the smoker. Cook for 3 - 4 hours uncovered. Stir at least every hour. Cover and simmer to hold until supper time.
If using a slow cooker
Cook on medium setting for 3 - 4 hours. You can increase to a hotter setting if time is not on your side as these ingredients are already cooked. You are simply trying to break down the chicken and meld the flavors.
Top each serving with shredded cheese. We like to add freshly cracked black pepper and a dollop of sour cream. This is great served with corn bread. We hope you enjoy as much as our family does!